Sunday, January 14, 2007

recent.obsessions.




















1. Jack Johnson >>> Somehow his music makes me feel really warm inside. It's classified under the 'Rock' genre, but to me it seems more acoustic and folksy with reggae elements. The more I listen, the more his music grows on me. I also really like the cd sleeves of his album titled "In Between Dreams"- the combination of saturated colours, out-of-focus photographs and random plants appeals to me greatly.

2. Red Hot Chilli Peppers >>> Need I say more? Even Lance Armstrong named "Dani California" as his power workout song. I have been stuck at the first disc so far, simply because "Dani California" and "Snow ((Hey Oh))" have been on constant repeat mode on iTunes. Maybe a couple more rounds will reveal more gems to me on Jupiter, and then it'll be on to Mars.

3. Chairlift >>> It's a budding band that I had the fortune of catching live last night at a very cool bar/art space called Galapagos in hippy-town Williamsburg. The female lead singer is oh-so-cute and has such haunting vocals (think bjork, tanya chua or even faye wong) that even I'm mesmerized. Pouty red lips and subtle hip movements in time to the beat of the music complete the whole seduction process. Not to mention the flirty looks at the hippy suave lead guitarist every now and then. *swoon* And she was wearing gold parachute pants!!! Caroline was gracious enough to give me one of their demo cds when she heard from a common friend that I had enjoyed their performance thoroughly. It reminded me of Telepopmusik or The Postal Service at parts, electronic beats and cute springy random sounds that layer upon each other. But then they also added in electric/acoustic elements, electronic keyboard solos and vocal harmonies, coupled with *gasp* country music influences. From their song titled "Bruises":

"I tried to do handstands for you,
I tried to do headstands for you.
Every time I fell on you, oh every time I fell,
I tried to do handstands for you,
But everytime I fell for you,
I'm permanently black and blue,
Permanently blue for you."

4. Patent/leather/vintage clutches >>> Mama wendy and mingming can attest to this, Shopaholics Anonymous unite! I have 4 in my possession so far, and another 6 currently in on the way crossing an entire ocean to get to me. Oh my babies come to momma! They are so so SO cute, even if they can barely hold my wallet and cellphone all at once. I like those that have hidden handles on them so that they can be used as a normal clutch, or as a delicate handbag depending on one's mood.

5. Funnel-necked/Empire-waisted/Military wool coats >>> Babydoll is THE way to go this season, waistlines have been urging themselves higher and higher recently. Military is still in, but in belted styles now. Oh, and I've seen a couple of fantastic flared coats, much like pleated dresses. And for the neckline, it's got to be the funnel-neck look. Staying warm is in as well!

Well, so much for my recent obsessions.
I should post up pictures of the pressies my housemates gave me once I actually get round to taking them... They are pretty hilarious. And. Well. School's starting in a day's time. How depressing. The holidays have barely started, hello.

2 comments:

sneakyniki said...

WOO! COOL TEMPLATE! :) I LOOOOURRRRVVVEEE JACK JOHNSON TOO.. I CATEGORIZE HIM AS BEACH-Y :)

JANNYJANJAN said...

yeah!!! he's definitely beachy-sounding... can't wait to go to a beach... ANY beach will do... sentosa wait for us!